THREE STAR (***)
Three-star properties offer a higher level of service with additional features and facilities. The quality of the services and amenities are above average.
CRITERIA (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS):
- Paved outdoor parking area, lighted, direct access from car with loading area.
- Furnished open lobby area.
- Reservation phone line to be answered by an individual.
- 24-hour reception desk accessible by phone 24 hours from inside and outside.
- Secure deposit / storage area or device for safekeeping of guest articles.
- Elevator required if four or more floors.
- Beverage (non-alcoholic) accessible 24 hours (may be by vending machine, commissary, front desk, retail outlet, etc.)
- Ice available in sealed bin ice dispenser OR by 100% of units with ice making capabilities.
- Internet access available in the public area.
- Bell service on request.
- Cloakroom / storage area, no service attendant required.
- Photocopy, fax, email, scan provided on the premises.
- Basic convenience items for room guests (e.g. toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, etc.) available at reception desk or by vending.
- Continental breakfast (beverages, pastries, fruit juice, hot or cold cereal, fresh or canned fruit) OR restaurant OR 100% full kitchen units.
- Daily housekeeping must be available.
- Guest rooms clearly identified with a name or number on or by the entrance door.
- Keyed self-locking door, plus additional locking device (such as deadbolt) and security device (such as security chain, swinging bar door guard) or peephole.
- One approved and functional smoke detector per unit.
- Connecting Room Doors: All connecting doors must be equipped with an effective keyed locking device to prevent opening from the other side.
- Sliding Patio Doors: Each sliding door must be equipped with an effective locking device. A secondary security lock is required on all ground floor doors.
- Windows: Each opening window in a ground floor unit must be equipped with an effective locking device.
- Open closet with min. eight non-wire hangers, including two pant / skirt hangers. Shelf for linen / clothes.
- Luggage rack / bench.
- Iron and ironing board in 25% of rooms.
- Laundry bag.
- 24-hour laundry or guest washer and dryer on premises.
- Guest directory in room (with cover and enhanced content or available electronically).
- Lighting (covered with shade / globe) that lights the entry and bedroom area with light switch by entry.
- Unit is well-illuminated.
- Two chairs (one padded), dresser, table / desk workspace 0.5 m2 with appropriate lighting and an available power socket by workspace.
- Waste basket.
- 100% direct dial telephone.
- Color-TV in an appropriate size for the room, with remote control and cable / satellite.
- High-speed Internet access in the guest room (e.g. broadband, WLAN).
- Wake up device – clock alarm / radio.
- Fridge unit or mini-bar in 5% of the units.
- Full length mirror.
- Window coverage: room blackout in bedroom area.
- Sufficient drinking utensils for room capacity.
- Glass drinking utensils available.
- Writing utensils and note pad.
- Decorative items / pictures / prints.
- Additional blanket available on request.
- Additional pillow available on request.
- 25% King / Queen beds with remainder Double beds or two Single beds.
- Headboard, bedside table / tray, pillow, pillow protector & pillowcase, mattress, mattress cover pad.
- Reading light next to bed.
- Change of bed linen at least twice a week, plus daily change of bed linen on request.
- Power outlet next to bed with at least one socket available.
- One operable window or effective powered ventilation that introduces fresh air into the units.
- In-room individual heating control (on / off – low / high).
- 100% private bathrooms.
- Minimum of two complete sets of towels, consisting of, at least, one large bath towel, one hand towel, & one face cloth per guest.
- Minimum of one new individual soap bar (or equivalent).
- Adequate quantities of toilet tissue, in a suitable & convenient dispenser.
- Wastebasket in the bathroom.
- One bath mat and a non-skid device for the tub / shower.
- Clothes hanging hook.
- Approved vanity bulb lighting (covered with shade / globe).
- GFI outlet at vanity (mirror) area.
- Facial tissue.
- Amenities package (min. three items including shampoo and soap bar over 1 oz. or equivalent).
- Shelf for toiletries.
- Towel handling facility.
- Ventilation (window / vent / powered exhaust fan).
- Bathroom floors constructed of impervious material & well sealed along the bathtub / shower / toilet & walls. No carpet in the bathroom.
- Bathtub or shower to be four-piece or enhanced three-piece
The average quality score will be calculated for each of the three sections:
- Exterior / interior, public areas, elevators, food & beverage outlets.
- Guest rooms and hallways.
If the average quality scores are between 3.0 and 3.49, the property will receive a 3 Star rating. If the average quality scores for all three sections are above 3.50, the property will receive a 3+ Star rating.
“Reference: Canadian Standards For Hotel And Motel”