TWO STAR (**)
Two-star properties are clean and well-maintained, providing comfortable facilities and some services and amenities.
CRITERIA (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS):
- Finished parking onsite with adequate night lighting.
- Seating space for hotel guests.
- Staffed reception desk (min. eight hours). Accessible by phone 24 hours from inside and outside.
- Elevator required if four or more floors.
- Basic convenience items for room guests (e.g. toothbrush, toothpaste, comb, etc.) available at reception desk or by vending.
- Beverage (non-alcoholic) accessible 24 hours (may be by vending machine, commissary, front desk, retail outlet, etc.)
- Ice available in sealed bin dispenser OR controlled access OR with 100% guest rooms with ice making capabilities.
- Basic continental breakfast (pastries & beverages) in the reception area (no seating required) OR restaurant serving breakfast OR 100% full kitchen units.
- Daily housekeeping available.
- Guest rooms clearly identified with a name or number on or by the entrance door.
- Keyed self-locking door, plus additional locking device (such as deadbolt) or security device (such as security chain, swinging bar door guard).
- One approved and functional smoke detector per unit.
- Connecting Room Doors: All connecting doors must be equipped with an effective keyed locking device to prevent opening from the other side.
- 100% telephones in room.
- Sliding Patio Doors: Each sliding door must be equipped with an effective locking device. A secondary security lock is required on all ground floor doors.
- Windows: Each opening window in a ground floor unit must be equipped with an effective locking device.
- Wardrobe or clothing hooks with a minimum of six hangers. Shelf for linen / clothes.
- Luggage rack / bench.
- Iron and ironing board – available for 10% of units.
- Guest directory with basic listing of services available.
- Lighting (covered with shade / globe) that lights the entry and bedroom area with light switch by entry.
- Unit is well-illuminated.
- One chair, one dresser, table or desk or desktop surface with appropriate lighting.
- Waste basket.
- Color-TV with remote control.
- Sufficient drinking utensils for room capacity.
- Ice available on request.
- Wake up device in room.
- Window coverage: room darkening.
- Single beds and / or Double beds with bed frames.
- Headboard, bedside table / tray, pillow, pillow protector & pillowcase, mattress, mattress cover pad.
- Reading light next to bed.
- One operable window or effective powered ventilation that introduces fresh air into the units.
- In-room individual heating control (on / off – low / high).
- 100% private bathrooms; three-piece units with washbasin with hot / cold water, toilet and bathtub or shower.
- Minimum of two complete sets of towels, consisting of, at least, one large bath towel, one hand towel, & one face cloth per guest.
- Minimum of one new individual soap bar (or equivalent).
- Adequate quantities of toilet tissue, in a suitable & convenient dispenser.
- Wastebasket in the bathroom.
- One bath mat and a non-skid device for the tub / shower.
- Clothes hanging hook.
- Approved vanity bulb lighting (covered with shade / globe)
- GFI outlet at vanity (mirror) area.
- Facial tissue.
- Hair dryer available upon request for 10% of units.
- Shelf for toiletries.
- Towel handling facility.
- Ventilation (window / vent / powered exhaust fan).
- Bathroom floors constructed of impervious material & well sealed along the bathtub / shower / toilet & walls. No carpet in the bathroom.
The average quality score will be calculated for each of the three sections:
- Exterior / interior, public areas, elevators, food & beverage outlets.
- Guest rooms and hallways.
If the average quality scores are between 2.0 and 2.49, the property will receive a 2 Star rating. If the average quality scores for all three sections are above 2.50, the property will receive a 2+ Star rating.
“Reference: Canadian Standards For Hotel And Motel”