ONE STAR (*)
One-star properties provide basic, clean and well-maintained facilities. These properties provide limited services and amenities. To achieve a one-star rating, a property must meet the following criteria and quality requirements.
CRITERIA (MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS):
- Finished parking adjacent with adequate night lighting.
- A responsible person shall be accessible during the period of operation and 24-hour access to a property representative, in person or by telephone, shall be available.
- Beverage (non-alcoholic) available on property.
- If ice machine is available, it must be a sealed bin ice dispenser or controlled access.
- Daily housekeeping available.
- Guest rooms clearly identified with a name or number on or by the entrance door.
- Keyed self-locking door, plus additional locking device (such as deadbolt) or security device (such as security chain, swinging bar door guard).
- One approved and functional smoke detector per unit.
- Connecting room doors: All connecting doors must be equipped with an effective keyed locking device to prevent opening from the other side.
- Sliding patio doors: Each sliding door must be equipped with an effective locking device. A secondary security lock is required on all ground floor doors.
- Windows: Each opening window in a ground floor unit must be equipped with an effective locking device.
- Wardrobe or clothing hooks with a minimum of six hangers. Shelf for linen / clothes.
- Luggage rack / bench.
- Lighting (covered with shade / globe) that lights the entry and bedroom area with light switch by entry.
- Unit is well illuminated.
- One chair, plus one dresser or adequate storage.
- Waste basket.
- Telephone available on premise.
- Color-TV with remote control.
- Window coverage: room darkening.
- Sufficient drinking utensils for room capacity.
- Single beds and / or Double beds with bed frames.
- Headboard, bedside table / tray, pillow, pillow protector & pillowcase, mattress, mattress cover pad.
- Reading light next to bed.
- Change of bed linen for each new guest.
- One operable window or effective powered ventilation that introduces fresh air into the units.
- Ability to maintain a comfortable temperature.
- 100% private bathrooms; three-piece units with washbasin with hot / cold water, toilet and bathtub or shower.
- Minimum of two complete sets of towels, consisting of, at least, one large bath towel, one hand towel, & one face cloth per guest.
- Minimum of one new individual soap bar (or equivalent)
- Adequate quantities of toilet tissue, in a suitable & convenient dispenser.
- Wastebasket in the bathroom.
- One bath mat and a non-skid device for the tub / shower.
- Clothes hanging hook.
- Approved vanity bulb lighting (covered with shade / globe).
- GFI outlet at vanity (mirror) area (where an outlet exists).
- Shelf for toiletries.
- Towel handling facility.
- Ventilation (window / vent / powered exhaust fan).
- Bathroom floors constructed of impervious material & well sealed along the bathtub / shower / toilet & walls. No carpet in the bathroom
The average quality score will be calculated for each of the three sections:
- Exterior / interior, public areas, elevators, food & beverage outlets.
- Guest rooms and hallways.
If the average quality scores are between 1.0 and 1.49, the property will receive a 1 Star rating. If the average quality scores for all three sections are above 1.50, the property will receive a 1+ Star rating.
“Reference: Canadian Standards For Hotel And Motel”